1. The fact it turned into a 16 miler because I misjudged the distance. It was supposed to be 12 miles.
2. The fact it included Turkey Creek and most of Umstead for a total elevation gain of 1356 feet.
3. It rained almost the entire time.
4. It was 40 something degrees
5. I didn't have any drink or supplements with me because I thought it was just 12.
6. I had granola for breakfast. That's all. The run was at 1:30pm.
Here is the garmin link
Can I say 1356 feet of elevation gain just one more time? Thanks.
So I got to the parking lot first. Changed clothes and had this Gatorade Prime stuff. I HATE gu like stuff but it was in the car and I knew I could use something other than the granola 5 hrs ago. I didn't love it but glad I had it.
|Scared of what I thought was a 12 miler and hating that stuff|
I ran this with Brian and Brad. Both planned for 12 miles. Around mile 10 I said, uhhhh we're kinda VERY far from the cars. I got a few "no shit Sherlock" looks. They had to work right after the run. I felt horrible. I know that park better than to think that was a 12 miler. I'm sorry guys.
So the run itself was just a rainy, wet, hilly, nasty snotty mess. However, there were highlights!:
* The pacing was pretty stellar. Most of the run was focused on slowing down.
*Someone smelled like Old Spice.
*I won the Red Thigh contest!
*aside from huge hills I didn't feel as bad as I probably should have.
So for the ZENSAH compression leg sleeves. I am hooked!! I swear I would not have been able to feel so good and hang for that run without them. The calf burning I usually get on hill runs was muffled. I didn't really notice my screaming calves. Also they provided great ankle support. I have like 2" ankle that look and feel like they could snap over a pebble. This felt great and supported all of my lower legs. It was like running with fresh legs the entire distance. However I either fell and was unaware of it or did some fancy footwork to get mud on the FRONT of my legs..???
|This does not do justice to the amount of mud I had!|
So, I need more compression stuff! But for now I am parked here and will be for some time:
All and all great run!! I'm not proofreading this either...not that it would make a difference!