Sunday, July 24, 2011

Get it!


Hell to the ya..Word to ya mutha! This week was my highest weekly mileage: 76 and today was my highest daily: 22.  Not bad for 6 days of running. I am slowly learning to take each run a littler more seriously and not run balls out like a 5th grader everyday. This week went like this:

Monday: swim
Tuesday: 12 miles at 7:30 pace
Wednesday: 10 miles at 7:18 pace
Thursday: 14 miles total. 6 @ 6:30 pace
Friday: 8 miles at 7:18 pace
Saturday: 10 miles at 7:40 pace
Sunday: 22 miles at 8:01 pace. Last 4 miles faster. Last mile sub 7 (just for tradition)
***note all these miles were mid morning at 95+ degrees expect for Sunday at 6am and maybe 90 degrees. But you were probably running in the same thing too. lol.

My long run details:
22 miles
8:01 pace
Umstead Park : 1600 feet of elevation (fricken hilly)
My wing men: John and Pavel. Neither "needed" a run that long but they were soooo kind as to keep me company. I truly would have tanked without their help. Thanks guys!

I have to say the hardest part about that run was staying at a reasonable pace. I 'know' there is no need to race my long runs.  This was good practice. I had two fears though: 1. I was going to go too fast which isn't really the point.  2. I wouldn't want to run 22 miles and lose it mentally. Thankfully neither happened. I figured around mile 18 I'd change the pace. I just wanted to get it done by that point. I am happy that I dropped the pace and felt fine. yee-haw!

I had one hammer gel, g2 and park water 3x. Including the dog bowl fountain, errrrr...Mile 21. It had to be done. I just filled my bottle. I didn't get down and lick it! Gimme some credit!

All and all a great week in deplorable heat. I look forward to my swim tomorrow. If anyone wants to go to Pullen Pool let me know. Deep water swimming is scary fun!

Party on peeps. Happy running!
Laura

3 comments:

  1. 22 Miles !!!!! I could only make 21km for sundays long run...

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm, coach dion..that's because you just did a marathon on top of the swiss alps! I'm sure you'll be back at it uh, tomorrow ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good god woman!! What are you training for?

    ReplyDelete