Saturday, February 11, 2012

How to screw up your running week but have fun doing it!

We all have issues. My issue with running is doing my easy runs easy so that I can actually do the faster stuff. This week was kinda disastrous, but really fun at the same time. Or as my dear coach says: why am I even giving you a schedule? You don't listen.

In all fairness. I do listen. I just started the week off sore as hell from a long run Sunday that was 10x the elevation I usually do. And my new Saucony Cortana's are not working out. They feel almost like a stability shoe to me. So Monday came around and this is how it went:

                  Scheduled                                 Did
Monday:   8 easy                                         8 easy 7:28 pace    
                                                                    GOOD

Tuesday: 2 mile warm up, 5-6 1000's         8 @ 7:20 pace.
 and 2 cool down                                        eh...okay...

Wednesday: 7-8 easy                                   2 mile w/u 3 1000's, c/d.  
                                                                     Fail.

Thursday: 9 miles                                         9 miles @ 7:19. ok, fine.
                                                                     Then 5 in the pm

Friday: 1mile w/u 2 miles tempo x3             15 Miles @7:16 pace.
                                                                      cool splits tho

Saturday: 8 easy                                             still on the couch

Sunday: 15 easy long                                     I am pacing a 5k slow

So lesson learned. I think I'll go get this 8 easy done and call it a day.

Also, I added a kettle bell to my ab routine so hopefully I'll feel stronger throughout. For now a, calf-a-licious pic?? errr...I wish you could see my face while I took this picture. haha


Well happy running and taper to those racing!
Laura


2 comments:

  1. He's right though. If you want to race a marathon you will need to be able to withstand a 15 miler with lots of hills. Also, a 15 miler is kind of long for a long run when you are doing 50-55 miles per week.

    I know you don't like to hear that, but it is the real deal. Proper training for a marathon is more important than pacing a 5k. What would be good is to use 5ks, 10ks, half-mar, and 10-mile races as workouts and Lactate-Threshold workouts for the marathon.

    You should be able to run your best at 10k-half-marathon when you are developing for the marathon.

    You are also STILL running your conditioning runs too fast, unless you have improved in the 5k to 17:30-17:40. Easy runs should be done at about 1:40 above 5k pace. Your 5k pace (at your best) is 6:15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David. I agree mostly. I haven't done a 5k in a while. I'm sure it's shit. This is my 2nd time marathon training. I got into really good shape towards the end of my training last time and felt my shorter distance stuff had improved. I'm not there yet. But I can't wait.

      My weekly is about 65. This week it's 75 bc I have a 20 miler. I need to work on controlling those longer runs.

      Thanks for your input.

      Delete