Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Nothing like spine x-rays to make you feel like a bent up piece of shit!

Hello My Dears!!

I wanted to update my blog once I had some GOOD news instead of whining and crying on your screen.  Well, it took a freakin' while to get back on the road and make some good news!

Basically, I swam and cycled my ass off and took off another 5 days of running. I couldn't figure out why I hurt EVERYWHERE. People kept saying suck it up, get out there. I needed answers. What was wrong??!

So I went to my trusted Chiropractor that I usually see just for Graston Technique. I asked her to check my back. She sent me to Raleigh Radiology for lumber and thoracic x-rays. I went there on a walk-in basis and didn't leave until I had my reports and films. I went back to the Chiro.

WOAH....

lower back and top of hips

Thoracic...creepy

Just a cool x-ray. Not bad
So, my problem clearly was that my hips were uneven causing my gait to clop around. Basically, the good 'ol one leg shorter diagnosis. I googled my fingers off and found some controversy on the topic. Some think it's a crap dx. Or that we all are uneven and it's not a big deal. Well, I can tell you this explained WHY I was clopping. I was UNEVEN! But don't cry for me (Argentina!)

So, I had my first ever adjustment with the wussy gun because I can't handle the thought of manual manipulation. I walked out fine. I rested the next day and ran the following. I ran EVENLY! No clopping! I ran the next, the next, the next and the next day. No clopping. I had a second adjustment. I'm about a week into daily running 7-10 milers. About 7:30 pace.

I keep waiting to fall apart. It's kind of stressful but it will pass. When I'm not running, I'm stretching every which way I can.

I'm still swimming almost daily after my run. I force taught myself bilateral breathing, instead of one side only. I don't know if that will help but half my back is really tight muscularly. So I'm trying to keep things symmetrical.

So it's not the end of the world. I feel 200% better but I'll be running through Humbleville for a little while longer. I still can't believe that's my back. I don't feel like that person. But I have BIG plans for that cranky back!!! It's getting closer to roll time!

See you guys out there!!

Laura




4 comments:

  1. dang girl, i can't believe how crooked that back looks !!! Hope you can stay straight !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should try bungi jumping to straighen you out!!!

    hope it come right and you can fly again, look forward to the stories of you knocking up the miles at some insane pace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That x-ray is sort of creepy! BUT . . .it's so cool to see that is going on! Hopefully no more "clopping"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a back like that. It's actually good to know that you have it so that you can take precautions to avoid injuring it as best as you can. It's not a happy thing to find out, but it's a good thing to know about if you have it. That's all I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete