Sunday, December 15, 2013

How I plan to beat my 2:58 marathon PR

Happy Sunday everyone!

We are just about to enter the precious 18 week time frame before the Boston Marathon 2014! I have done the best I can bringing myself out of an injury and getting in the some good base. I've been lingering around 75-82 mile weeks for a few months now. No specific runs. Long on Sunday and trying my best to keep it hilly.

This training cycle I am going to push against the line. The line that marks the most we can eek out of ourselves physically yet not crash and burn. I have no interest in being conservative. Yet I don't want to crash and burn. So, I have been thinking about how I can tweak my last marathon training so I can get every last drop of athleticism out of myself. Mentally and physically.

I am bringing to the table a little more of an edge than I have in the past. This will be my 3rd marathon. In Eugene 2012 my goal was to finish. In Boston 2013 I wanted 2:59:59. This time, I feel I'm familiar with the training and running that far. I really want to throw the hammer across the room, and through a window.

As far as specifics:

*I want to continue to train on hills. Ideally getting my marathon pace on hills.
*Keep my obsession with a proper runner's diet in check.
*Add 1-2 doubles to increase mileage and clear the lactic acid of my morning run.
*Core 5-6 days a week
*a few really long runs.
* Peak out at 100 miles.

But honestly, I can crunch all I want. Lay out the miles methodically. But what I really want to bottle up is the passion I have for this sport. Whatever it is that gets me up at 5am 7 days a week with excitement. Whatever it is that keeps me happy mile after mile. I love that I go to sleep on Saturday night dreaming of long run routes for Sunday.

I am this way because of you. I see your training, attitude and strife. Your 20 milers at 4am. Your exhilaration when you succeed. Your pain when you are out.  In Australia, Africa or down the street. We will probably never meet but you still inspire me to be the best I can be. Please continue to rock on!!

Laura








12 comments:

  1. It's you that get me out of the house in -9 windchill and snow. You train in 90F and 90% humidity - that's inspiring!

    You can always join me for a half the week after Boston.

    Happy Training!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tom! I saw an article on why employers should hire runners. We are a tough bunch and can handle pretty much anything ! I agree! Happy running and happy holiday 'a too!

      Delete
  2. Excited for you as you start a new training cycle! Your core and strength workouts and pictures were an inspiration last year when I started thinking about what I should be doing _besides_ running. I've been Olympic weightlifting this winter -- no idea if it's making me a better runner, but it's WAY fun. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Robyn! Next summer I'm going to cross train some more. Weights are a good idea. Good job!

      Delete
  3. Your my inspiration. I will never be fast but when the days get tough I think of you and your 90 mile weeks. Good luck training and post more! You keep us middle of the pack people pushing. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Todd!! The camaraderie amongst runners can't be beat! It's the back of the packers that cheer and high those ahead that send chills down my spine. We are all doing the same thing and end with a smile. You can't beat that. Well, sometimes I don't smile. lol But we won't go there. : ) Keep killing it!!

      Delete
  4. You talk in Mile and I talk in KM but we both run the same... I aim at maxing out at 100km a week, while you are up at 100miles...

    18 weeks, that's a long time, lets hope it goes as to plan, will watch as your weeks unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Coach Dion! This week I will just have a fartlek workout. nothing extreme. I always remember how you have said 10-12 weeks tops. I like that idea and that's when I really lay out work in my training plan. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why do you get up at 5 AM? It is dark for 3 hours where you live? And who runs long runs at 4 AM? Maybe the shift worker who HAS TO be at work at 7 AM, but otherwise that is just dumb. You would have to go to bed at 7PM.

    Even if you had to feed children and dress and drive them to school, you would still have two hours to kill before it was light out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing, I love the early mornings. I like half my run to be in the dark and watching the sunrise. Sometimes it's schedule related but overall I prefer to be done before you wake up. Just preference.

      Delete
    2. That's the thing, I love the early mornings. I like half my run to be in the dark and watching the sunrise. Sometimes it's schedule related but overall I prefer to be done before you wake up. Just preference.

      Delete
  7. Go Girl! I am having the same objective for my next marathon. Just got a PB of 2:58:59 in Dubai last week and while taking a well-deserved week of rest/recovery, I am already planning for my next marathon in April.
    So hope we will both make it under the 2:58-line then!

    Have a great training year!

    ReplyDelete